jeudi 17 août 2017

A few merchandising questions

Continuing to work with my SCORE mentor's suggestion to grow myself into a brick and mortar store (to supplement the online channel), I've been learning about merchandising. He advised me to work on planograms and floor layouts for my future shop in order to more accurately estimate how much square footage I'd need to lease. So I have a few questions about planograms:

It seems to me that I'd have to know the display size of each product, so that I can fit it into the plan. Since much of my stuff is drop-ship, I think I could go to competitor stores and take notes of the sizes as they have them displayed. Is this something that people commonly do, like checking competitor's pricing? Or is there a better way to do it?

Online searches for how to create a planogram seem to assume you're starting with a store that's already in existence so you know the shelving size/layout and floor plan. Since I don't have that, can I start with a blank space? Say I'd draw a front door and then plan out my space from that, drawing the primary walking loop, merchandise areas, and finally the planograms for each area. That's kind of inside out from what the online sources say to do.

Is it advisable to buy planogram software to do this? Or are tools like Visio and/or Excel perfectly adequate in this stage of the game?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire