samedi 16 septembre 2017

Don't devalue yourself. New Customers DO NOT appreciate discounts

When I first started out I had defined rates. They were lower than my competitors because I thought I needed to compete on price. I got work, but none of those clients are still around.

Over the years I've tried a lot of things, but one thing has stuck out as the biggest mistake that I've made over and over again that has ALWAYS bitten me in the butt. And that's giving new customers a discount. Not only does it make you feel cheap, but those always end up being the worst customers and rarely does it ever lead to a long term client because the minute you charge them full price for services down the road, they're gone.

New customers DO NOT appreciate you, or your business when you give them discounts. And going forward they don't expect to ever pay full price now matter how clearly you explain to them that will be the case. It's a losing battle that just ends up making you regret even offering.

The only time this has ever worked out where I didn't feel used is working with non-profits. I've worked with a few and they've always seemed not only appreciative, but have no problem pitching in to help with some of the tedious tasks to help make up for break that they're getting on price.

Other than that, don't do it. It's a race to the bottom and 99% of the time it does not lead to making that person a long term client unless you never charge them full price for anything. And if you're doing that, then what's the point of having rates?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire