samedi 13 février 2016

Gun Class

Whether you are a proponent or not of guns, this was interesting.

I went to a local gun show a week ago and took a license to carry class. In Florida where I live, you can't openly carry a gun, but with the license you can carry a concealed weapon with the license. This would include a knife over a certain length.

I don't intend to carry a weapon, I just did it because it was easy and I could.

A couple of struck me as wrong in this whole thing. At least a third of the people in the class were elderly women. I doubt most of them had fired a weapon before. That scares me. No competency is required for the license. I've shot since I was ten, albeit target shooting. I don't consider myself competent to carry a weapon for self defense. With a year of weapon for self defense training I would consider myself competent.

The class consisted of safety precautions, the law, and we had to shoot one round from a gun in a safe manner. That means you pick up the gun without your finger on the trigger, aim at the target, put your finger on the trigger and shoot at the target. You don't even have to hit it.

Please don't turn this into a political discussion. It's just some observations from something I did a week ago.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire