lundi 19 août 2013

Registering a business in NJ for 1 person - Single Member LLC ? Something else ?

Greetings all;



I have worked as a consultant for other companies in the past. I was debating registering a company, whether I get any business or clients is unknown, but I want to register with a certain name.

Me and my wife are both US citizens and NJ residents, we file a joint return in NJ.

My wife could be part of this, although she does not have any knowledge of my industry (Information Technology, Governance, Risk, and Compliance).

I met with the small business administration person and she told me to register as an LLC. However, I did some reading and seem to gather a single member LLC is a "disregarded entity" by the IRS.



We have several options in NJ - as follows



LLC (SIngle member only - any value to doing this ?)

NJ Domentic Profit Corp - DP

NJ Domestic Professional Corp (PA) (don't think this is a fit, we do IT compliance, not medical, etc.)

Limited Partnership (the only partner could be my wife, but we prefer she is not, except for being a woman owned business, and for getting her insurance)

Limited Liability Partnership



Here are some requirements.



#1 - I want my personal assets protected.

#2 - I may or may not get clients / business. If I find a job, then the newly registered company just sits there, with no income and minimal expenses.

#3 - If my COBRA health insurance runs out, I would like my me and my wife to get medical insurance - we could do this as individuals or through the company. Ideally speaking, my wife does not want to be in the business, but depends on advice given.

#4 - If possible, we would like to keep the accounting and taxes for the business separate, which may not happen with LLC being a disregarded entity, unless, in NJ it does not matter ?



The accountant wants 250/hour - which I can't afford to pay, so here we are. If anyone provided advice, I appreciate it, my only request is, if you are not sure of something, please be clear - so I don't take off in the wrong direction.



Thanks all.





via Small-Business-Forum.net http://www.small-business-forum.net/starting-your-business/9461-registering-business-nj-1-person-single-member-llc-something-else.html

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire