jeudi 15 décembre 2016

Chinese registration of my domain name - is this bad?

Hi All,
I'm pretty conversant with the internet, it's really the risks of global use of the internet that I'm iffy on. I received an email claiming to be from a Chinese domain registration company telling me that they've received a request by someone in their country to register domains very similar to mine. My registered domain is Somethingspecialpetsupplies.com. They're saying that someone wants to register Somethingspecialpetsupplies.hk and .cn, etc. different Chinese suffixes.

If I allow this, what are the risks?

Also, I'm not sure if this is a legitimate email. Has anyone else ever received something like this? If it's legitimate, I really appreciate them warning me and allowing me to have a say in whether they grant the names or not. Or is it likely they're just going to tell me to spend money to register those domains myself (i.e. cash grab or ransom situation)? I was always under the impression that in certain other countries domain names are just taken/used, whether you like it or not or even know about it. Thoughts?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire