vendredi 11 mars 2016

Any Android users using Google's Project Fi?

Google just opened up Fi to everyone and I'm pretty much gushing over it and plan on moving.

For those that haven't heard of it, Google Fi is mobile phone service from Google. It uses T-Mobile, Sprint Networks and works with wifi calling. That means it switches seamlessly between which ever is best based on your location and signal. Of course you have to have a Google Nexus phone.
http://ift.tt/1DdYav8

I'm already heavily into the Google infrastructure and use a crap load of products and services from them for both business and personal.

Cost wise it runs about $20 mo. for unlimited talk, text. And you pay for data as needed, which is about $10 per GB. Currently I use way under a GB of data a month. There's other extras like no charge to use phone as hot spot, rebates on data you don't use, no contracts, unlocked phones that work anywhere in the world and so on.

I love Android, but my main beefs with with how the system between device makers and service providers work are:


  • It takes too long to get an update. By the time the device maker and your carrier both put their crap ware on it, it's months later. And they are not getting any faster.
  • Too many phones get left behind and don't get updated. (I've been screwed by both Motorola and Samsung on this)
  • Phones cost too much to have bloatware (ads) forced on you. Why are they still installing apps that I don't want (and can't get rid of) on my $700 phone in 2016? I don't want my carrier suggesting apps. They suck at it. It's like having my Mom suggest music.
  • Feature phones are pretty much just adding more cosmetics. Functions other than camera are pretty much the same and I don't really care about camera. They're all good.
  • The cost of service and the nickle and diming is out of control.
  • The big 3 service providers are playing too many games with data, and speeds.
  • Contracts, locked phones, and charging you to take your number with you.


I've had mobile phones since the old bricks, moved on to the Motorola Star Tac, had Blackberries, Palms, you name it.
We never had many options before. Now we do and the phone companies now seem archaic in what they offer and how they operate.

A couple of months ago I purchased another Nexus 7 tablet ( because it's my favorite tablet of all time). This model was made in 2013. As soon as I pulled it out of the box and tuned it on, it started prompting me to update until it went all the way to the latest version of Android Marshmallow. No BS. No carrier crap between it. It just works.

This is how it should work for EVERYTHING! And this is the benefit of using Google's products. Stock Android. Stock Google. No bullsh*t.

So my mind is pretty much made up, and everything I've read about it says the service is great.

But I was wondering if anyone here was using it and what they thought.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire