samedi 12 mars 2016

Should I take this opportunity?

The company I work for was bought recently by a larger competitor in a different city. Me and two colleagues were offered a job there and we accepted after being impressed by their appearance and efforts to convince us to come work for them.

Two months later, I'm not enjoying my new job as much as I had hoped. Even though the company is healthy, young and dynamic, the department I'm in is rather small and unimpressive. An important role also plays that I've always wanted to start my own business offering the same services, and as such I convince myself on a daily basis I could do things better and cheaper than my employer. I had similar feelings when I was with the old company, but insecurity about having enough clients kept me from making the leap.

My current situation however would genuinely allow me to take a bunch of clients and start serving them on my own. Unfortunately, this would mean abandoning my two colleagues, whom I'm really friendly with. I would also be taking clients from their portfolio, directly impacting their position at the company. The clients I have shared thoughts with so far were all interested in joining me to an extent and I'm confident an arrangement like this would lead to better results for them in the long run. I would also have to put in less than a third of the time to earn the same amount of money I do now.

At the same time, the thought of betraying my colleagues makes me feel awful right now. I know they would go through great lengths to make me happy to keep my position, as this would also be in their best interest. It would even be a fine opportunity for me if I decided to stay and fully dedicate myself to the company. The fact is, I'd have no objections to leave if my colleagues weren't involved.

Pros:
- Start a business like I always wanted
- Much better pay and growth potential
- More freedom

Cons:
- Risking a job with good pay at a very decent company with nice perspective
- Ending the relationship with my colleagues and potentially hurting them financially

It's clear I won't be happy as long as I'm in doubt about this and I should go with either option a 100%. Any advice is greatly appreciated!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire