lundi 22 août 2016

Do you watch any business related TV shows?

I use to be hooked on 'Shark Tank', and I do still enjoy it. But I think I've pretty much gotten the gist of whatever I'm going to learn from it. That being that ideas are a dime a dozen, and no one cares. What people care about is have you proven the concept, how much skin do you have in the game, and is the product or service saleable to a large audience to make it worth while for an investor. A lot of people go there with nothing more than a small scale idea that is solely about making them money, but not scalable enough for an investor to care.

Now I'm hooked on 'The Profit'. Been binge watching episodes the past week and have learned a lot of things that I didn't know, specifically when he deals with some of the retail shops, and people with products. It also seems less scripted than the others in that he doesn't fund everyone, and there are clear reasons why.

For me the really interesting part is the varying personalities of some small business people. Some are real egomaniacs and control freaks, and some seem to be really genuine and you really root for them to succeed. In almost every case of those who didn't get funded, or failed, the owner was a complete jerk, but they're opinion of themselves were that they were just "driven". Some people have no business managing other humans.

Being in the bar business I've watched Bar Rescue, but it feels too scripted. I learn more about how successful restaurants operate, and find their niche by watching the shows on Travel and Food Networks.

I'm also hooked on American Greed. I'm still floored that so many people still pull off ponzi schemes and the people they take STILL never see it coming. Amazing.

Do you guys watch any business related TV shows? Do you think you learn anything from them?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire