mardi 28 avril 2015

unsure about business idea

I've been thinking about making and selling gaming computers. I love gaming and I like building computers. I've been trying to get my friends to buy or build gaming PCs so they can play with me but they are reluctant to switch from consoles to PC. They think it's expensive and difficult to get in to while the consoles on the other hand are plug and play. Actually a lot of gamers share that same belief. I want to start small and make some PCs in my spare time and sell them before I become a full blown business. I work 2 jobs 7 days a week so my spare time is limited but I want to be able to sell enough computers to where I can quit the part time job with little to no loss of income. If I can reach this level of success I will put more focus in to becoming bigger and start a small information/advertising campaign to tell people that getting in to PC gaming is not difficult and that no IT degree is required. I think I will do this via blogging and social media. I've noticed that other companies that do sell gaming computers tend to advertise their PC as the one that will give the person the edge in online gaming and that the person who spent less is going to lose and that they never stood a chance. So when a person sees a couple of different models lined up the company will say that their most expensive model is the one that will win they will probably be discouraged to buy it because gamers don't play to lose and they will think "Why should I spend all this money to have a level playing field when I can get a cheaper xbox and not worry about it."

That's where the console companies shine. They all market their consoles as something that everyone can enjoy. They like to show people of all demographics sitting down together, playing games, and having fun. The gaming PC on the other hand shows a guy sitting too close to the monitor while the advertisement says "buy this or you will lose" or anything pretty much saying only the best buy this. It creates feelings of exclusion and discouragement because it tells the would be customer that they have to spend tons of money to have a good experience when they really don't need to spend that much money and that they are not real gamers if they don't spend the money on "the good stuff". Gaming PC companies are simply horrible at marketing. It may appeal to the gamer who likes spending tons of money on the best GPUs and other hardware but completely turns off a much larger market.

I'm not sure how I want to sell the computers either (brick and mortar vs online). I think maybe I'll rent a kiosk at the mall or something for starters. I used to do inventory at Office Depot but I was often asked to help customers who were looking at computers, routers, printers, etc because I am very knowledgeable about technology and I was very good at closing sales and attaching extras and service plans. I also knew that customers aren't looking to spend tons of money and that trying to sell them the most expensive things will usually drive them away. So while I may have been selling the cheapest computers in the store, I was selling a lot of them. That's going to be one of my core advertising ideas, that you don't need to spend tons of money on the very high end stuff to do what you want. This is to help the customer feel included in the gaming community and that they don't need to spend a ton of money to have a good gaming experience. Not only that it's better to sell a bunch of cheaper product quickly than to sell a few expensive products slowly.

Any ideas or advice. I'm sure this whole post sounds jumbled and mixed up but it's late at night, I'm exhausted, and I have to get ready for work tomorrow but hopefully not for too much longer. I'm absolutely tired of working for other people. I know it's about time for me to get on the path to self employment. I'm just trying to figure out how.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire