mardi 12 janvier 2016

Advice on launching new marketing channel

I’ve got a strange question and am looking for some brutal feedback. I recently developed and launched a product – Kickstarter-funded, now sold on Amazon, and I’m also pursuing other retail distribution channels. But I think a good prospect for distribution could be as a new type of marketing channel for businesses. Brief explanation: the product is a laptop desk that’s made out of corrugated cardboard. It’s useful when lying in bed and working on the couch since it lifts the laptop’s weight and heat off the user’s lap- it holds up to about 20 pounds on a soft surface. It’s also handy as a mini-table while tailgating, for kids projects, etc. It folds flat, weighs 12 ounces, fits in a standard #7 padded envelope and is rated 5 stars on Amazon. Google ‘cardboard recyclable laptop desk’ if you’re interested in pictures and more info.
Since it’s corrugated cardboard, it’s inexpensive to produce, but its size makes shipping through the mail expensive, so mail order is not ideal.

Which brings me to my question: The product has a lot of printable real estate (when expanded it’s about 12x18x12inches) so I’m thinking about distributing it for free (door to door or other ways) and selling ads displayed on the product to local businesses. The product can easily last 6 months or more with regular use, so advertisers would get dozens of impressions to each user. I’m thinking of focusing on restaurants and other kinds of locally-focused businesses where repetition to a small audience is key. An ad would probably need to be about $1-1.50 per piece. I know that’s very high in comparison to direct mail, but this is something that could be used by virtually anyone for several months, so it would have more sticking power than a flyer, even if some are discarded or not used by recipients.
I plan to go talk to business owners for some feedback and I’d love to hear your views on this idea.
Thanks!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire